Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chinese Masala Dosa – A really unusual but awesome Gastronomy

I do not use my kitchen at home. Many reasons, lack of time and interest being some of them. But the most important reason is I am not the best cook in the world, and I want to explore the gastronomy of others who are much better than me.
Being an ardent lover of food, I never stop experimenting. Everytime I move into a restaurant, I try to order something which I did not order before in that restaurant. And yes most of the times I enter into restaurants where I have not entered before. And if the restaurant has a good, long and fancy menu, I am a regular visitor for the next few days to get a taste of more or less everything in the menu.
One night, I was late from work and was in search of a descent restaurant near the Outer Ring Road of Bangalore but I could not find one. I wanted to have something light and was slowly strolling in the service road with my bike in search of a food joint. Suddenly I saw a small stall with 3 small round tawas where a lot of people were crowded. I saw that place a number of times but never bothered to stop. I thought of giving it a try that night.
There was no signboards, no menus, no tables and even no chairs. It looked like a big pan stall near any footpath. So I asked the guy – what do you have today? He started chanting the menu in a fast pace and after he had almost taken around 20 names I asked him to stop. The few names which I can recall are Muglai Dosa, Paneer Dosa, Chicken Dosa, which had cheese and butter versions as well. The name which struck me the most was Chinese Dosa.  Chinese and Dosa, does those words seem any similar by any chance? I thought  - This is what I need to try out tonight.
I asked the chef – “What is this Chinese Dosa all about?” He answered – “Sir, have it and see, you will come to know.” I asked him – “What is it made of?” He answered – “I recommend you to have this, you wont repent..” Having said so, he started preparing the dosa. In the meantime I asked him, “How many varieties do you have in your menu?” To my utter surprise he answered – “200 different types of dosa, Sir”.
I kept quiet and just observed him preparing the dosa in the small, flat and round tawa. He spread out the batter first in the tawa, like any other dosa. And then he started putting the ingredients inside the dosa, he started with noodes, 3 different kinds of ketchups, some chicken pieces, some vegetables, lot of cheese, some butter and some other ingredients which I did not recognize or do not remember. However I took the dosa and had it, it was an awesome gastronomy, a strange but tasty outcome. It was a good treat for just Rs. 50.
If any of you(my readers) want to have Chinese or any other variety of dosa from this shop in the outer ring road, the treat is on me, if you comment here and vote for my post in Indiblogger. J

No comments:

Post a Comment